Monday, April 2, 2007

Mark Your Calendars - Garrett on NCLB

In a rare public appearance, Representative Scott Garrett is hosting a town hall meeting on No Child Left Behind. Garrett's not a fan of federal involvement in education, and intends to introduce a bill that would allow states to opt out of Department of Education requirements for children. While it wasn't posted on his website, an e-mail Garrett sent out was forwarded to me with a change in date, I'd call his office to confirm.

Unfortunately, as of now, I'll be out of the State this weekend. Here's the e-mail update:

ATTENTION:

CHANGE IN DATE!

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND TOWN HALL MEETING

Dear Friends:

Earlier this week in your weekly Garrett Gazette, I invited you to join me at a special town hall meeting on No Child Left Behind. I wanted to alert you to a change in the date and time for this event:

WHERE: Ramapo College of New Jersey

Alumni Lounges

505 Ramapo Valley Road

Mahwah , New Jersey 07430

WHEN: Saturday, April 21, 2007

4:00 pm to 6:00 pm

As I noted in my earlier invitation, five years ago, Congress instituted some of the most dramatic and sweeping changes to federal education law, called No Child Left Behind. This year, my colleagues and I will be reviewing that law and determining what changes need to be made to ensure that parents and teachers can make the best education possible available to all children.


I want to hear what you think about No Child Left Behind. What have your experiences been as teachers, parents, and also students? How can we make sure that students have the best educational opportunities available to them?


To make the most of our time together at this town hall meeting, I'm asking teachers and administrators to come share their thoughts and experiences from 4 to 5 pm, and parents and students to participate from 5 to 6 pm.


I hope you will be able to join me and share your thoughts on this important issue. If you have any questions, please contact my Paramus district staff at 201-712-0330.

Sincerely,

Scott Garrett

Member of Congress

No comments: