Thursday, April 10, 2008

NJ Can Save Some $$$

After getting my sample ballot last night for the school board elections next week, I'm even more convinced a way New Jersey could immediately save money is to consolidate elections.

My ballot has three names for three positions, and two budgets. For this, every registered voter in town had to be mailed a ballot. Not a postcard, but a whole folded ballot. I know it's the law, and people should be informed of their choices, but it seems like a bit of overkill.

How much did that cost to send out to every voter in town? How much is the cost to get the machines ready and set up and oversee the election?

I'm willing to bet if someone was willing to do the work, they'd find out the cost per vote to run these little elections is extremely high. I've heard most of the excuses about why this can't be done, and they're isn't a single one that could stand up to a mild breeze.

Let's save some cash and consolidate elections.

No comments: